By Mikhail Mikhailov,Robert Cooper
Corpus Linguistics for Translation and Contrastive Studies presents a transparent and sensible advent to utilizing corpora in those fields. Giving precise cognizance to parallel corpora, that are collections of texts in or extra languages, and demonstrating the aptitude merits for multilingual corpus linguistics study to either translators and researchers, this book:
- explores the differing kinds of parallel corpora to be had, and exhibits the best way to use uncomplicated and complex seek techniques to examine them;
- explains find out how to assemble a parallel corpus, and discusses their makes use of for translation reasons and to investigate linguistic phenomena throughout languages;
- demonstrates using corpus extracts throughout a variety of texts, together with dictionaries, novels via authors together with Jane Austen and Mikhail Bulgakov, and newspapers equivalent to The Sunday Times;
- is illustrated with case reviews from various languages together with Finnish, Russian, English and French.
Written through skilled researchers and practitioners, Corpus Linguistics for Translation and Contrastive Studies is key examining for postgraduate scholars and researchers operating in the zone of translation and contrastive studies.
Read or Download Corpus Linguistics for Translation and Contrastive Studies: A guide for research (Routledge Corpus Linguistics Guides) PDF
Best translating books
Seminar paper from the yr 2004 within the topic studying / Translating , grade: 2,0, Johannes Gutenberg collage Mainz (Fachbereich Angewandte Sprach- und Kulturwissenschaft), direction: Highlights of Mid-20th -Century American Drama, 7 entries within the bibliography, language: English, summary: because the life of existence on the earth there was the fight among the more desirable and the weaker of all creatures.
Adopting an interdisciplinary method, this booklet investigates the fashion, or ‘voice,’ of English language translations of twentieth-century Latin American writing, together with fiction, political speeches, and movie. latest types of stylistic research, supported now and then by way of computer-assisted research, are constructed to ascertain quite a number works and writers, chosen for his or her literary, cultural, and ideological significance.
Translators Writing, Writing Translators is a set of essays through the various best scholar-practitioners operating within the box of translation reports. encouraged by means of the paintings of unique translator and theorist Carol Maier, the participants replicate, in numerous forms—from biographical essays to experiences of fictional translators to reflective statement on translation initiatives and collaborations—on the advanced, regularly evolving dating of concept and perform as embodied within the writing of translators and within the notion of translation as writing.
Research of the nice call for for this paintings over a few years has printed that convention members and interpreters, for whom the guide used to be essentially meant, are on no account on my own in appreciating the usefulness and reliability of this precise book. while the editor has taken account of a small variety of linguistic refinements and personal tastes in contemporary convention utilization and has conscientiously reviewed the unique fabric, he has noticeable no cause to magnify the scope or regulate the layout of the former version - either those beneficial properties of an basically concise instruction manual having truly met the sensible specifications of its many clients.
- Reversing Babel: Translation Among the English During an Age of Conquests, c. 800 to c. 1200
- Corpus Linguistics for Translation and Contrastive Studies: A guide for research (Routledge Corpus Linguistics Guides)
- Realizing Autonomy: Practice and Reflection in Language Education Contexts
- Applying Luhmann to Translation Studies: Translation in Society (Routledge Advances in Translation and Interpreting Studies)
- William Tyndale: A Biography
- From Khartoum to Jerusalem: The Dragoman Solomon Negima and his Clients (1885–1933)
Extra info for Corpus Linguistics for Translation and Contrastive Studies: A guide for research (Routledge Corpus Linguistics Guides)
Corpus Linguistics for Translation and Contrastive Studies: A guide for research (Routledge Corpus Linguistics Guides) by Mikhail Mikhailov,Robert Cooper